The Museum was opened in 2009 to commemorate the sometimes forgotten role of the airfield at Bottisham in World War Two. It is the only UK museum dedicated to the Royal Air Force, United States 8th Army Air Force and Belgian Air Forces. We are now operating out of the last remaining airfield buildings to exist within the airfield’s original perimeter.
A Nissen Hut was erected in the original location of one that was there in 2016. The restoration of the original buildings was completed in 2020.
The museum is now fully functioning with modern facilities including a coffee shop and shop.
Our Mission Statement
To collect, restore, conserve and display items relevant to the history of Bottisham Airfield, including material relating to the Home Front in the local communities and local personalities. To promote and encourage interest in the Museum, especially among the local communities, young and old, and in relation to items or memorabilia that individuals might wish to donate to the Museum. To educate visitors to the Museum regarding the role of the airfield, the units that served their and the role the village played in the war effort.
Originally prepared in 1940 as a satellite of RAF Waterbeach, Bottisham was built as a grass airfield and was initially used by the Cambridge based Tiger Moths of No.22 Elementary Flying Training School as a relief landing ground.